Period: Thursday 20 December 2018 - Sunday 27 January 2019
dotART cultural association through Exhibit Around platform together with Trieste Photo Days festival, launches a new open call for the project Short Street Stories.
We are looking for street photographers to participate with single photos and/or projects/portfolios with a humorous and satirical look at contemporary society. The lesson to be inspired is Martin Parr‘s (or the one of In-Public, Un-posed and Burn My Eye collectives): “anthropological” photography with an ironic slant, able to tell through a new perspective the modern world, social differences and changes in progress. Not surprisingly, Martin Parr will be the main guest of the 2019 edition of Trieste Photo Days and Short Street Stories wants to be a small tribute to the sardonic style of the great British photographer.
The best photos and series will converge in a prestigious photographic volume and will create a series of “short street stories”. The volume will be presented during the Trieste Photo Days opening weekend (end of October 2019). A selection of the best photos will become part of a big international collective exhibition, which will always be held within the festival. Among the project’s photographers there will be some “special guests” that we will reveal shortly.
Short Street Stories is the third original project signed Exhibit Around and follows the success of Urban & Human Empathy (2017) and Flowing City (2018), which gathered respectively 49 and 69 photographers from around the world.
The Call is open from December 20th, 2018 until January 27th, 2019. To submit the photos you must fill the Upload form, selecting the Short Street Stories project. Submissions to this Open Call are for free.
» Photographic volume
Only selected works will become part of a prestigious volume that will be presented at Trieste Photo Days 2019 festival.
The volume will be printed in a limited deluxe edition (special 150 g matt coated paper / format 22×22 cm).
A selection of photos and/or projects will become part of the Trieste Photo Days 2019 festival catalogue.
The best photos will be displayed in an international collective exhibition at Trieste Photo Days 2019.
Exhibit Around will select one author that will be awarded also with a free stay of 3 nights in Trieste during Trieste Photo Days 2019 (last weekend of October).
» Selection and Fees
Only selected authors will be contacted by the Exhibit Around staff within February 2019 and will receive a proposal of refund inclusive for all the above points to become part of the project and of the Exhibit Around circuit.
Logistics, organization, print, merchandising, visual communication, transportation, setup and photo reportage of the events is made by our staff.
- Each photographer can upload up to 12 single photos and up to 2 projects/portfolio with at least 3 to a maximum of 20 photos.
- Both colour and black and white images are accepted.
- Street photography only (please NO naturalistic photography, landscapes, etc).
- Each photographer is free to give his works the style he prefers, but we would like to see works that pay homage to the ironic style of Martin Parr, or the surreal style like the collectives In-Public, Un-posed and many others. No sadness from the streets in this call. We would like to avoid gloomy tones: the challenge is (also) to tell the dark sides of society with a satirical eye.
- Projects and portfolios may be accompanied by a brief description / presentation. Exhibit Around reserves the right to modify, edit and / or not publish it. The author’s name will always be present.
- We will select one photo that will become the cover image and the official visual of the project. We invite therefore the photographers that desire, to entitle one of the candidate photos as “Cover book”. The ideal image for the cover is evocative, it well represents the spirit of the project and contains “empty space” for the insertion of the title. You can find some examples of cover photos here, here and here.
- The photos must not contain signatures, filigrees, watermark or frames.
- Participants will become members of the cultural association dotART for the entire 2019.
» Upload Technical Specifications
- Only .jpg format
- RGB color
- File dimension lesser than 7MB each
- Smallest side minimum 2000px / longest side no more than 6000px
- No special characters in the “filename.jpg”;
Our Upload System supports maximum 10 pictures per session. If your project/portfolio has more than 10 pictures you must divide your upload in more sessions. At the end of the first upload session you will be asked to click to continue uploading the new session and you won’t need to fill the form again.
Portfolios: to make sure to have the right order of the portfolio, please add to your filename a sequence number (e.g. filename03.jpg, 08filename.jpg, …).
The participant, in regard to all of his/her entered works, grants to dotART a complete, non-exclusive, irrevocable and indefinite license to use. The association dotART reserves the right to use them within the scope of its own non-profit associational activities. The Author, whose name will always be attributed to the work, maintains in any case his/her moral rights in regard to the work, in addition to the intellectual property rights to the same.